INTEL Part #/MPN: X5687
DiscTech Item #: INT-X5687-BN-OE
- Low Stock:Call for ETAStock Levels
This item is currently (nearly) out of stock. It may be possible to arrange fast shipment. If you need it urgently call us. Otherwise, it usually ships within 1 week.
Interface Types: Socket FCLGA1366
Electrical Interface: Clock 3.6 GHz
On-Board Cache: 12MB
Intel Xeon X5687 / AT80614005919AB / SLBVY 3.6 Ghz Quad Core 12MB SmartCache Processor - Socket FCLGA1366 - Brand New
Intel Xeon X5687 / AT80614005919AB / SLBVY 3.6 Ghz Quad Core 12MB SmartCache Processor - Socket FCLGA1366 - Brand New
Intel® Xeon® Processor 5600 Series
The Next Generation of Intelligent Server Processors
In many organizations, IT infrastructure has begun to constrain business efficiency and growth. For the past decade, IT has rapidly added low-cost hardware to accommodate business growth. But with data centers now stretched to capacity in terms of power, cooling, and floor space, infrastructure is actually limiting IT from investing in innovation. The Intel® Xeon® processor 5600 series helps IT meet the performance, power, and innovation needs of the data center by delivering a new generation of processors built on 32nm technology that can automatically regulate power consumption, and intelligently adjusts server performance according to your application needs.
Maximize Performance. Minimize Power. Automatically.
As data centers reach the upper limits of their power and cooling capacity, efficiency has become the focus of extending the life of existing data centers and designing new ones. As part of these efforts, IT needs to refresh existing infrastructure with standard enterprise servers that deliver more performance and scalability, more efficiently. The Intel® Xeon® processor 5600 series automatically regulates power consumption and intelligently adjusts server performance according to your application needs, maximizing both energy efficiency and performance. The secret to this compelling combination is Intel’s new 32nm Nehalem microarchitecture. Featuring Intel® Intelligent Power Technology◊ that automatically shifts the CPU and memory into the lowest available power state, while delivering the performance you need, the Intel Xeon processor 5600 series with Intel Microarchitecture Nehalem delivers the same performance as previous-generation servers but uses up to 30 percent less power.1 And you can achieve up to a 95 percent reduction in energy costs when consolidating your single-core infrastructure with a new infrastructure built on Intel Xeon processor 5600.
This groundbreaking intelligent server technology features:
- Intel’s new 32nm Microarchitecture Nehalem built with second-generation high-k and metal gate transistor technology.
- Intelligent Performance that automatically optimizes performance to fit business and application requirements and delivers up to 40 percent more performance per watt than Intel® Xeon® processor 5500 series.
- Automated Energy Efficiency that scales energy usage to the workload to achieve optimal performance/watt and with new 40 watt processor options and support for lower power DDR3 memory, you can lower your energy costs even further.
- Flexible virtualization that offers best-in-class performance and manageability in virtualized environments to improve IT infrastructure and enable up to 15:1 consolidation over two socket, single-core servers.
New standard enterprise servers and workstations built with this new generation of Intel® process technology offer an unprecedented opportunity to dramatically advance the efficiency of IT infrastructure and provide unmatched business capabilities.
A Smart Investment
Research shows that upgrading to multi-core servers with higher performing, more efficient processors can accelerate data center ROI, saving on power and cooling, space, labor, and software licensing costs. By refreshing IT infrastructure with more energy-efficient systems, you gain capacity to grow and to increase IT performance, reduce energy costs by 95 percent, and realize ROI in 5 months.
With up to 15x the performance compared to installed single-core servers and unique virtualization capabilities, Intel Xeon processor 5600 series lets you deliver more business results from every clock cycle, every IT man-hour, every watt, and every inch of data center space. The lower TCO and groundbreaking performance of the Intel Xeon processor 5600 series offers the opportunity to transform the competitiveness of your business and the economics of your data center.
Performance That Adapts to Your Software Environment
Application performance is critical for day-to-day business operations, as well as creating new products and reaching new customers. But many data centers are now at capacity, and new data centers are expensive to build. By refreshing data center infrastructure with more efficient servers, you can deliver additional performance and scalability within the same energy and space footprint.
The Intel Xeon processor 5600 series brings intelligent performance to the most widely deployed server architecture. The Intel Xeon processor 5600 series is the world’s most adaptable server platform, adjusting performance and power usage in real time to meet the exact requirements of your computing workloads, while allowing manual adjustment for IT control.
The Intel Xeon processor 5600 series brings together a number of innovative technologies to deliver intelligent performance:
- Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, together with Intel Intelligent Power Technology, delivers performance on demand, letting processors operate above the rated frequency to speed specific workloads and reduce power consumption during low utilization periods.
- Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology benefits from larger caches and massive memory bandwidth, delivering greater throughput and responsiveness for multi-threaded applications.
- Intel® QuickPath Technology and an integrated memory controller speed traffic between processors and I/O controllers for bandwidthintensive applications, delivering up to 4.4x the bandwidth for technical computing.
The intelligent performance of the Intel Xeon processor 5600 series also gives IT fine-grained manual control to adapt to changing priorities or to meet service-level agreements (SLAs). For example, Intel Intelligent Power Technology enables policy-based control that allows processors to operate at optimal frequency and power. The operating systems can make this determination automatically, or administrators can designate which applications require high-frequency processing and which should be executed at lower frequencies to conserve power.
Automating Energy Efficiency
After decades of IT build-out, server sprawl is escalating system management costs and outstripping available data center space, power and cooling capabilities. In a recent survey, 42 percent of data center owners said they would exceed power capacity within the next 12-24 months, and 39 percent said they would exceed cooling capacity in the same timeframe.5 Energy efficiency is becoming a critical issue in the data center.
Intel Xeon processor 5600 series automatically regulates power consumption to combine industry-leading energy efficiency with intelligent performance that adapts to your workload. With capabilities such as new lower power SKUs and low-voltage memory options that can save up to 10 percent in memory power,6 you can achieve up to 40 percent better performance in a similar power envelope.3 And the wide range of CPU, power, and memory options allows you to align your performance and energy requirements without having to make a trade-off in either.
In addition, Intel Intelligent Power Technology makes power available for critical workloads while conserving power when there is less demand. Intel Turbo Boost Technology is also available, which allows processors to deliver higher speed execution on demand by using available power to run at a higher frequency, Intel Xeon processor 5600 series gives you the intelligent performance and flexibility you need to build the data center of the future today.
Maximizing Benefits from Virtualization
Intel Xeon processor 5600 series can also help tame server sprawl by providing up to 15:1 consolidation capacity.2 Built on Intel Microarchitecture Nehalem, the Intel Xeon processor 5600 series expands the benefits of virtualization beyond consolidation with innovations that can help boost performance, increase consolidation ratios, and enable servers of different generations to be combined in the same virtualized server pool, improving virtual machine failover, load balancing, and disaster recovery capabilities. With more performance in the same power envelope, you can use virtualization to deliver high-availability solutions with the agility to address disaster recovery and real-time workload balancing so your business can respond to the expected and the unexpected.
Intel Xeon processor 5600 series with next-generation Intel® Virtualization Technology∆ (Intel® VT) enhances virtualization performance by up to 3.5x and reduces roundtrip virtualization latency by up to 2x.
Other virtualization features include:
- Intel® Virtualization Technology (Intel® VT-x) continues to offer investment protection and infrastructure flexibility with multigeneration VM migration across the full range of 32-bit and 64-bit configurations, enabling bigger VM pools.
- Intel® Virtualization Technology for Connectivity (Intel® VT-c) provides hardware-assisted I/O that accelerates network performance and simplifies VM migration.
- Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (Intel® VT-d) helps speed data movement and eliminates much of the performance overhead by giving designated VMs their own dedicated I/O devices, reducing the overhead of the VM migration in managing I/O traffic.
Secure, flexible virtualization
As enterprises become borderless, security attacks rise – from DoS to phishing to malware to data leakage. This keeps security challenges foremost in the minds of IT staff. And with the mixed environment in most data centers, servers are anything but secure. Intel Xeon processor 5600 series has two new security features that help you secure your data by speeding up data encryption and protecting against software attacks at launch.
Data encryption is not new, but new AES instructions from Intel are. In the past, data encryption either required custom hardware, such as security appliances and HDDs, or reduced CPU performance to manage. But with Intel® AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) Technology, you get robust encryption without needing additional appliances or increased performance overhead. In fact, AES-NI improves CPU performance for encryption by as much as a 52 percent for secure Internet transactions,8 and allows for broader use of encryption throughout the data center.
Intel® Trusted Execution Technology† (Intel® TXT) addresses a critical security need for all server deployments, especially virtualized and cloud-based use models by helping protect your server prior to OS launch or hypervisor launch. Intel TXT complements other malware protections such as anti-virus and intrusion detection to help ensure that only trusted software is on the platform. VMs on trusted platforms are also protected, so you can easily migrate them onto other trusted platforms or create pools of platforms with trusted hypervisors.
ntel Xeon processor 5600 series helps future proof your data center with improved security features for evolving usage models.
Exploring Intel® Microarchitecture Nehalem
The new generation of server processors from Intel provides a foundation for a fully adaptable IT environment. The architecture of these processors is designed with innovative features that adapt performance to software and business needs, help energy consumption for optimum performance and efficiency, and enable virtualization strategies that help your IT infrastructure adapt more quickly to your business needs.
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
Intel Turbo Boost technology delivers performance when and where it’s needed (see Figure 1). This technology allows processors to deliver higher speed execution on demand by using available power to run at a higher frequency.
Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology
Many server and workstation applications lend themselves to parallel, multi-threaded execution. Intel Hyper-Threading Technology enables simultaneous multi-threading within each processor core, up to two threads per core or eight threads per quad-core processor. Hyperthreading reduces computational latency, making optimal use of every clock cycle. For example, while one thread is waiting for a result or event, another thread is executing in that core, to maximize the work from each clock cycle.
Intel® QuickPath Technology
To deliver top performance for bandwidth-intensive applications, the Intel Xeon processor 5600 series features Intel QuickPath Technology (see Figure 2). This new scalable, shared memory architecture delivers memory bandwidth leadership, and up to 4.4x the bandwidth of previous-generation processors.
Intel QuickPath Technology is a platform architecture that provides high-speed (up to 25.6 GB/s), point-to-point connections between processors, and between processors and the I/O hub. Each processor has its own dedicated memory that it accesses directly through an Integrated Memory Controller. In cases where a processor needs to access the dedicated memory of another processor, it can do so through a high-speed Intel® QuickPath Interconnect (Intel® QPI) that links all the processors.
Intel Microarchitecture Nehalem complements the benefits of Intel QPI by enhancing Intel® Smart Cache with an inclusive shared L3 cache that boosts performance while reducing traffic to the processor cores.
Intel® Intelligent Power Technology
Within a single server, Intel Intelligent Power Technology minimizes power consumption when server components are not fully utilized.
- Integrated Power Gates allow individual idling cores to be reduced to near-zero power independent of other operating cores, reducing processor idle power consumption to 10 watts, versus 16 or 50 watts in prior-generations of Intel processors.9 This feature reduces server idle power consumption by up to 50 percent versus a previous generation of two-socket server processors.
- Automated Low-Power States automatically put processor and memory into the lowest available power states that will meet the requirements of the current workload (see Figure 4). Processors are enhanced with more and lower CPU power states, and the memory and I/O controllers have new power management features.
Intel® Virtualization Technology
Next-generation Intel Virtualization Technology enhances virtualization performance with new hardware-assist capabilities across all elements of your server:
- Processor: Improvements to Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT-x) provides hardware-assisted page-table management, allowing the guest OS more direct access to the hardware and reducing compute-intensive software translation from the VMM. Intel VT-x also includes Intel VT FlexMigration and Intel VT Flex-Priority, which are capabilities for flexible workload migration and performance optimization across the full range of 32-bit and 64-bit operating environments.
- Chipset: Intel Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (Intel VT-d) helps speed data movement and eliminates much of the performance overhead by giving designated virtual machines their own dedicated I/O devices, thus reducing the overhead of the VMM in managing I/O traffic.
- Network Adapter: Intel Virtualization Technology for Connectivity (Intel VT-c) further enhances server I/O solutions by integrating extensive hardware assists into the I/O devices that are used to connect servers to the data center network and storage infrastructure. Two technologies comprise Intel VT-C: Virtual Machine Device Queues, which accelerates thoughput and reduces the load on the VMM and server processors; and PCI-SIG SR-IOV, which delivers near-native throughput and provides dedicated, direct connectivity between VMs and hardware resources.
|Number of Cores||4|
|Number of Threads||8|
|Processor Base Frequency||3.60 GHz|
|Max Turbo Frequency||3.86 GHz|
|Cache||12 MB SmartCache|
|Bus Speed||6.4 GT/s QPI|
|Number of QPI Links||2|
|VID Voltage Range||0.750V-1.350V|
|Embedded Options Available||No|
|Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)||288 GB|
|Number of Memory Channels||3|
|Max Memory Bandwidth||32 GB/s|
|Physical Address Extensions||40-bit|
|ECC Memory Supported||Yes|
|Max CPU Configuration||2|
|Package Size||42.5mm (1.673in) x 45.0mm (1.771in)|
|Low Halogen Options Available||See MDDS|
|Intel Turbo Boost Technologies||1.0|
|Intel Hyper-Threading Technology||Yes|
|Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x)||Yes/td>|
|Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)||Yes|
|Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT)||Yes|
|Instruction Set Extensions||Intel® SSE4.2|
|Intel Demand Based Switching||Yes|
|Thermal Monitoring Technologies||No|
|ISECURITY AND RELIABILIT|
|Intel® AES New Instructions||Yes|
|Intel® Trusted Execution Technology||Yes|
|Execute Disable Bit||Yes|
Click here to view the manufacturer's item description/brochure
Alternate MPNs: 81Y5959
Weight: 1 lb
Warranty: 1 Year DiscTech
The product is brand new.
1 Year DiscTech Warranty
The product has a DiscTech warranty for the time period specified. View our limited warranty